Brainstorming for 2nd Phase Track Modernisation19/04 06:01
Rly Bridge Forum24/04 21:00
General Forum23/04 15:42
Works Forum24/04 20:06
Track Machine Forum18/04 15:03
ROB/RUB/LXING Forum18/04 15:15
Track Procurement Forum06/04 22:40
 How to use RSS
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/IRICEN1/themes/fisubsilversh/theme.php:138) in /var/www/html/IRICEN1/includes/sessions.php on line 249 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/IRICEN1/themes/fisubsilversh/theme.php:138) in /var/www/html/IRICEN1/includes/sessions.php on line 250
Indian Railways Institute of Civil Engineering: Forums

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/IRICEN1/themes/fisubsilversh/theme.php:138) in /var/www/html/IRICEN1/includes/page_header.php on line 477 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/IRICEN1/themes/fisubsilversh/theme.php:138) in /var/www/html/IRICEN1/includes/page_header.php on line 479 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/IRICEN1/themes/fisubsilversh/theme.php:138) in /var/www/html/IRICEN1/includes/page_header.php on line 480

View previous topic View next topic

A.P. MALIK
DyCPM/C/III

Shared Documents

Replies: 116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:55 pm Back to top

Recently in one of the divisions on one of the zones, the local authority approached Railway for a deposit work involving box pushing. The work has become hot potato among the division, bridge organization and the construction department, with nobody ready to touch it with even a barge pole. And they all have good reasons. The lines to be crossed are upwards of seven and cushion is only the ballast cushion. There have also been recently very bitter experiences with the box pushing works on the Railway. In many instances relieving girders had to be launched during box pushing with no other means available to stabilize the soil between the box and the running line.
In the good old days of TS labour with bridge organization, use of the relieving girders was the norm in all track crossing and bridge rebuilding works. The departmental labour would pitch their tents at the bridge site and camp there till relieving girder remained in place.
Relieving girders need huge skilled labour during their launching and a sizable contingent of the labour permanently at site to maintain them in position thereafter and again large number of labour for their delaunching. With decimation of the bridge organization, department turned to the contractors who have shown themselves to be utterly unequal to the task leading to some very nasty incidents.
Then people thought that box pushing is the answer. It is structurally a good element but pushing is not as easy as was thought initially. Segments go out of alignment, track travels with it, and soil collapses in its face creating cavities under running lines. Subways constructed using segmental box pushing have chronic problem of leakage rendering them unfit for use during monsoon.
And so nobody wants to push the box I mentioned in the first paragraph.
We need not be as helpless as we have become. Firstly we need to demand from the system resources to accomplish the task assigned to us instead of trying to work

MOHAMMAD BAKHSH
Rtd. Dy Chief Engineer

Shared Documents

Replies: 1021

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:45 pm Back to top

[b:27dddea480]Hot potato has nutritional value.[/b:27dddea480]
The strategy and planning suggested by MR.Malik should compel railway for revival of bridge organisation.The box pushing technique is not anathima to go jittery.This technique should be pursued.

- MOHAMMAD BAKHSH  Retired DyCE(TMC) CCG ... 17-12-09

Hansraj Sharma
Sr System Manager

Shared Documents

Replies: 372

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:09 pm Back to top

Very Happy
Nice.

- Hansraj Sharma Dy.CE/Tr. ... 17-12-09

V. B. Sood
Director (B & S)

Shared Documents

Replies: 1621

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:49 pm Back to top

Very good suggestions, i will say. I have been teaching this subject but this sort of ideas have not been generated in the classes that have been held. Only thing, the volume of the works has to be adequate to ensure steady stream of work to the equipment so created else this will also fall into disuse and fail to work when we actually need this.

People have tried shallow girders, with stringers and cross girders but the transportation and assembly of the same was so tedious that these girders (which RDSO had designed for 30 KMPH) were used for demonstration purpose outside track and never in track. Of course, those were in mild steel and if these were in aluminium of some alloy, the handling would have been easier and would have been used more extensively.

Second issue is that the complicated schemes like the semi through spans, piles etc require pretty high degree of expertise and care in field else the block bursting and unsafe conditions can come very easily.

Last thing that I will like to add is that sometimes we feel that complicated things are better. Having worked quite a long period on lots of works, I have found that simple is not only reliable but also better. The use of multiple heavy duty construction machinery with low heights which can work without affecting OHE to insert conventional relieving girders and then pulling the girders rather than pushing the girders is one of the options which has been successfully tried at a number of bridges especially in insertion of the restricted height subway BOXes.

- V. B. Sood Professor/ Bridges ... 17-12-09

Anil Patel
Sr DEN/Coord/CKP

Shared Documents

Replies: 242

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:16 pm Back to top

New Technologies if applied at appropriate places should result in advantages either in cost or time or risk limitation. But if the situation is not appropriate for the technology then it may not work.

Pipe/Box Horizontal Jacking is a good method for locations where disruption to services above the proposed alignment is not desirable. I have seen numerous jacking works in my previous project and can vouch that its an absolutely fantastic technology with immense potential in Railways for rebuilding or additional waterways/openings on an existing high density route.

Micro Tunnel Boring is another technology which can be gainfully used in our environment for smaller waterways.

But the problem is when we design a bridge we do not care about what method will be used for its construction. For successfully using these technologies we need to plan for it from day one i.e. design a conducive structure suited for the technology. A good drainage pipe should be circular but we design a rectangular box (because it easier to construct a rectangular in situ box). So we fail to appreciate that what shape is good for pushing. Then we do casting of box segment at site and then cure it and then push it. This will take more time than a relieving girder + cast in situ job and every one will say that my good old technology is still better. Pushing jobs are best done with full set of prefab segments pushed from start to finish in a few days/hours.

Similarly for making a small culvert through micro tunnel boring m/c we need to check the available MTBM in market and make a matching design. Most of our small boxes are 1.8 m width and we get a TBM of 1.4 m dia in market. One can always bore two pipes in parallel and achieve the design waterway. But mostly people fail to see a simple waterway math of 1+1=2. They would like to stick to their shape and size and one opening all together.

In another thread some one has posted that there is poor soil condition below a proposed box pushing alignment. This can be overcome by treating the strata by pressure grouting (cement/lime) or freezing the strata (put a chilling plant with heat exchanger pipes drilled below ground) creating permafrost conditoin during the construction. There are various other methods which can be explored. A good pipe jacking consultant can be very handy for such issues as they would have done numerous jobs at various locations and can recommend a method more suitable for the job.

We need to be more technology savvy. The trick is to follow the concept from inception.

- Anil Patel Sr DEN/Coord/CKP ... 25-12-09

S. RAVI
XEN/works/CN/MS

Shared Documents

No. of
Replies: 7534

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:47 am Back to top

The stability of soil at the proposed site to be investigated before taking,in one of the site when box pushing is in progress, sudden collapse of the soil surround and human life has been lost . Box pushing is preparable during summer than in rainy season.

- S. RAVI XEN/works/CN/MS ... 26-12-09

Pankaj Kumar Gupta
Sr.DEN-II/MB

Shared Documents

Replies: 27

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:50 am Back to top

I think we need to develop relieving spans of longer lengths which can be easily erected using high power cranes, presently available in the market. Putting relieving spans and casting box in-situ will not only have added advantage of safety but also quality of construction will be better in this case.

- PANKAJ K. GUPTA NR-Dy.CE/C/NEC/K.Gate, Delhi ... 27-12-09

Girraj Singh Yadav
Dy.CE

Shared Documents

Replies: 18

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:29 pm Back to top

I have executed 12 nos. of box pushing works of various sizes for canal crossings in Pune - Miraj section. These works were kept pending for about 10 years as the work was orginally envisaged with relieving girders. Construction of so many bridges would have taken many years as it was not possible to permit more than one SR for this purpose. With box pushing method the work could be completed within six months.

The problem is not with the technology, the problem is with execution.Box pushing work needs lot of care to avoid creation of hollow spaces above the box. After pushing work is completed the space around the box specially on top of the box must be grouted to fill up any voids left.

MOHAMMAD BAKHSH
Rtd. Dy Chief Engineer

Shared Documents

Replies: 1021

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:51 am Back to top

[b:24fdab399d]Move forward[/b:24fdab399d]
Kudos to Mr Yadav.As a matter of fact,pushing is more a technique,than mathematical formula e.We should move forward with technology to iron out the rough patches.I would request that Mr Yadav should prepare a procedural sheet and circulate to all zonal railways. i still believe that a quality and safety wise box is more secure.The only thing is that pushing methodology should be developed.

- MOHAMMAD BAKHSH  Retired DyCE(TMC) CCG ... 28-12-09

A.P. MALIK
DyCPM/C/III

Shared Documents

Replies: 116

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:56 pm Back to top

The work which prompted this thread has been completed successfully. And how? By effecting a paradigm shift. That is, one way of solving a problem is eliminating the problem itself. The box was rejected as a means to create opeing and instead 5 (FIVE) numbers pipes each 1800mm internal dia were pushed using microtunneling method. The work got done under a mild SR(only because cushion was negligible, otherwise even SR is not required), very quickly and barring some intial hiccups was incident free. No cave-ins, no moving of tracks laterally, no heaving, no boxes going out of alignment, all controls done with a computer on a real time basis. No labour problems as there was hardly any labour, fantastic quality control as pipes are factory produced.

The method is so convenient, safe and independent of traffic running above that except for road openings, we should not permit any other method to be adopted for any opening across the tracks. The company that carrried out the work also showed photographs of a 3.0m dia (internal) pipe pushing using microtunneling.

- A.P. MALIK DyCPM/C/III ... 28-04-11

Sumit Jain
DGM/P

Shared Documents

No. of
Replies: 176

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 pm Back to top

Dear malik sir, can you give tender document and agency details for the same.. my email id is mr.sumit@gmail.com

- Sumit Jain SR.ADEN BUI, Varanasi Division, NER ... 28-04-11

Anil Patel
Sr DEN/Coord/CKP

Shared Documents

Replies: 242

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:54 am Back to top

Dear Sir,

Great news. If possible please send me also the design, spec and schedule for the work. And if possible advise the firm to call me for a discussion for a reasonable sized work.

I have a work for 24 bridges (existing 2-3' stone slab in shambles) all sanctioned for reconstruction and we have spoken to two big players but both cold shouldered due to inhospitable area. I intend to call a big open tender to test the market.

We did finalise one tender for 16 boxes by pushing with conventional wisdom of rectangular boxes etc. The firm after award has developed cold feet and hiding away.

Micro TBM is the future for rebuilding of minor bridges.

- Anil Patel Sr DEN/Coord/CKP ... 01-05-11

S. RAVI
XEN/works/CN/MS

Shared Documents

No. of
Replies: 7534

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:55 pm Back to top

Please upload the schedule in encyclopidia

- S. RAVI XEN/works/CN/MS ... 01-05-11

Pratap Kumar Mohanty
AGM

Shared Documents

No. of
Replies: 42

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:40 pm Back to top

Respected Sir,
Please upload the Methodology in encyclopedia or send it in my Email ID p.kumarmohanty@gmail.com

- Pratap Kumar Mohanty PROJECT COORDINATOR ,Aarvee Associates Railway Cosultants,Hy ... 09-05-11

R.M. SHARMA
GM/Jaipur

Shared Documents

Replies: 4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:42 pm Back to top

I have got an idea. If some one can work on it, same can be a very good alternative for providing subway on Indian Railways.
Let us think of span across track. We can design suitable PSC or RCC slabs in segments and can provide two portals of RCC or steel which can be erected without infrenging track and without blocks. Suitably designed slabs can be inserted across the track first. Portals can be erected simultanouesly or after inserting slabs. Once this structural arrangement is made, earth can be excavated below slaba in small strips on 1 or 1.5 m width and retainng wall can be casted or even precasted retaining walls can be placed without any block or intruption the traffic. Once complete retaining walls is done and other balance wing wall or retaining wall beyond track is done, subway can be commissioned. Here the requirement of track blocks is bear minimum i.e. only required to insert PSC/RCC slabs.

What is required to do?
Design of suitable length PSC/RCC slab
Design of RCC/Steel Portal

- R.M. SHARMA GM/Jaipur ... 23-04-13
View previous topic View next topic