Brainstorming for 2nd Phase Track Modernisation21/07 16:24
Rly Bridge Forum28/07 07:20
General Forum28/07 15:35
Works Forum28/07 17:45
Track Machine Forum07/07 09:10
ROB/RUB/LXING Forum27/07 10:14
Track Procurement Forum27/07 10:27
 How to use RSS
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/IRICEN1/themes/fisubsilversh/theme.php:138) in /var/www/html/IRICEN1/includes/sessions.php on line 249 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/IRICEN1/themes/fisubsilversh/theme.php:138) in /var/www/html/IRICEN1/includes/sessions.php on line 250
Indian Railways Institute of Civil Engineering: Forums

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/IRICEN1/themes/fisubsilversh/theme.php:138) in /var/www/html/IRICEN1/includes/page_header.php on line 477 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/IRICEN1/themes/fisubsilversh/theme.php:138) in /var/www/html/IRICEN1/includes/page_header.php on line 479 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/IRICEN1/themes/fisubsilversh/theme.php:138) in /var/www/html/IRICEN1/includes/page_header.php on line 480

View previous topic View next topic

N.C. KARMALI (Ram)
DyCE/ER/ Kolkata

Shared Documents

Replies: 69

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:36 pm Back to top

I'm looking for legislated method (if any) of calculation of ITKM. The present method used by my Railway(SER) is based on a pre-historic letter from Railway Board. In this method undue weightage has been given to works assets.

Any answer?

R. P. Saxena
sr professor engg

Shared Documents

Replies: 1096

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:30 pm Back to top

I was a expecting a answer for this question from somebody from Railway Board office .I really have no answer but will like to know the need for calclation of of ITKM

It was necessary for creating maintenance infrastructure .The gang strength is now created on the basis of new gang strength formula & creation of works staff under revenue has not been done from years as there are no yardstic to create work staff .in fact work staff is being surrenderd indiscriminately

2nd WSC at Shilliong has nominated a committe of cew/wr,cew/sr &ce/w/nwr to finalise the draft criteria for creation of works staff for maintenance & advised all railway to send their view within 15 days to WR to enable it to prepare draft yardstic but none have sent their views

However draft guideline was prepared on the basis of actual requirement & sent by me to all railway one month back by e mail for comment but no comments are received

therefore I am really at loss to understand why ITKM is required & whether any revised instruction are required to be issued by Railway Board

N.C. KARMALI (Ram)
DyCE/ER/ Kolkata

Shared Documents

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:34 pm Back to top

thanks u sir for your response. I hope that there is a nodal officer for responding to unanswered posts. IRICEN can help.

Speaking generally calculation of ITKM is required to know the relative workload(works+bridges included) in maintenance hierarchy. Specifically it is required for review of the gazetted maintenance establishment as the old Efficiecy Bureau Formula gives yardstich for the workload.

SHIV KUMAR
Retd General Manager(Construction),Northeast Frontier Railwa

Shared Documents

Replies: 402

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:53 am Back to top

My dear Ram,
I would like to clarify that there is no nodal officer for answering unreplied questions on this forum.Therfore, for enhancing the value of the discussion, it is desirable that persons who are dealing the subject in various organisations and are in the knowledge of the subject in the respective field should participate on their own.Frankly speaking, IRICEN has just provided the necessary platform for initiating the discussion.Beyond that,it should not be assumed that IRICEN would be controlling or guiding the discussion .Its FACULTY is participating like any one else if they feel like sharing the knowledge on a subject .
Shiv Kumar
Director/IRICEN

N.C. KARMALI (Ram)
DyCE/ER/ Kolkata

Shared Documents

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:33 am Back to top

Thank U for your response sir!

V Natarajan
AEN(TP)CCG

Shared Documents

No. of
Replies: 2490

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:26 pm Back to top

The concept of ITKM is only to assess the relative work load of an ADENs, DENs and Sr.DENs as some of these offficers look after both way and works, some only works and some only P.Way and it is essental to have a common scale for way and works.

Creation of posts is no longer connected with ITKMs. For P.Way the concept of ETKM for creation of posts is outdated on advent of the new formula and creation of posts on works side is on the basis of Equated plinth area.

V Natarajan
AEN(TP)CCG

Shared Documents

No. of

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:04 pm Back to top

For anybody interested, the formula for calculation of ITKM are as under:-

(a) For track assets
ITKM = ETKM x 0.80
where ETKM = L x U x (1+A+B+C)
where L = length of track in KM
U = Traffic density factor
A = Formation factor
B = Alignment factor
C = Rainfall factor

(b) For work assets
1500 Sqm of plinth area of building and covered sheds is equal to 1 ITKM
2000 Sqm of platform with covering is equal to 1 ITKM
3500 Sqm of platform without covering is equal to 1 ITKM
6000 Sqm of road is equal to 1 ITKM
5000 Rm of pie lines is equal to 1 ITKM
2000 Rm of underground drains is equal to 1 ITKM
3000 Rm of surface drains is equal to 1 ITKM
100 Rm of linear water way of major bridges is equal to 3 ITKM
50 RM of linear water way of minor bridges is equal to 1 ITKM
50 RM of tunnel is equal to 1 ITKM
100 Rm of FOB/ROB/RUB is equal to 2 ITKM
one water treatment or sewerage plant is equal to 5 ITKMs
One pumping installatin operated by Engg Dept is equal to 3 ITKMs

REF :-CE(Works)CCG's D.O letter No.W.615/7 Dt.19.3.2002.
The total ITKMs of BCT division is 4287.

Hansraj Sharma
Sr System Manager

Shared Documents

Replies: 372

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:45 am Back to top

In Railways we have a Personnel Department. or P-branch . It is supposed to relate itself with staff matters. It is my personal view that Manpower sufficiency and Human resource management shud be done by this deptt.
Second, Do such formulae exist in other departments ?
How do u decide how many Welfare Inspectors are required all over the railway / division ?
In all court case review meetings, outstanding ONR / NR cases of payment, I find a severe shortage of manpower.
Our ME our already shown the way in matters of track, bridge. We are at a stage when CAUTION has to be thrown to the wind, calculatedly, and innovations are to be done as a matter of habit.
BTW ( By the way) , does this formula appear as part of some manual too ?

N.C. KARMALI (Ram)
DyCE/ER/ Kolkata

Shared Documents

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:36 pm Back to top

Here are some similat thoughts-
1. EVERY OFFICER (OTHER THAN PERSONNEL DEPTT OFCOURSE) IS PERSONNEL OFFICER OF HIS DEPARTMENT.- Then what P.Branch is there for??
2. GENERATION OF REQUISITIONS, TECHNICAL SUITABILITY OF OFFERS, RATE REASONABILITY OF OFFICERS, ARRANGEMENT OF FUND, GETTING THE MATERIAL INSPECTED, GETTING THE MATERIAL BY CHASING ALL THIS CAN BE DONE ONLY INDENTOR. THESE ARE OUT SIDE THE JOB LIST OF STORES DEPARTMENT.- Responsibility of Stores Department is restricted to issue of POs ( Consider renaming the department as P.O. department and NOT stores Department).
3. EVERY EMPLOYEE IS VIGILANCE OFFICER FOR HIMSELF. Vigilance department is only there to catch them his when something goes wrong to achieve STATISTICAL TARGETS assigned to them by board.

Certainly there are some serious anamolies exists in the working of the departments. this can only be removed if some seriuos steps are taken.

Returning back to issue of ITKM. If each and every activity of AEN can be legislated then it should also be quantified what is the maximum ITKM or ETKM or whatever parameter can be honestly looked after by AEN by following all the activities assigned to him.

V Natarajan
AEN(TP)CCG

Shared Documents

No. of

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:55 pm Back to top

Tenders are invited by stores department and they have got number of LARs of materials indended for various departments, yet the rate reasonability is required from the indending department besides technical suitability. They call for TS & RR in short.
View previous topic View next topic